Saturday, October 17, 2009

Avoiding a Bump on the Head

I've become a creature of habit since Ethan was born. I read somewhere in my Mommy-books that babies love structure and have done my best to become more structured for the good of my son.

In the morning he wakes up, latches on for breakfast, gets a new diaper and changes into "daytime" clothes. (I can't wear my PJs all day, so neither can he.) Then we make our way out to the livingroom for some tummy time.

Ethan hasn't always been a fan of tummy time, but the Mommy-books told me that it was important too. So every morning I spread out a blanket on our beautiful laminate flooring and plop my baby on his belly with a few of his favorite toys.

Ryan and I purchased our home when I was 1 month pregnant. We loved the laminate floor throughout the house. We grew up in the generation of horrible carpeting. You know the time. Picture it... short, red, with paisleys on it, or the green shag, Ugh! Yeah, we loved the laminate. However the flooring has created a fear in me for my baby.

Baby's have small, tender heads. Early on, they can't handle a bang on the beautiful, easy to clean floor. Ethan is 6 and 1/2 months old and has been rolling around for over a month now. But every morning I put him on a soft cushy blanket for tummy time. I go into the kitchen to get my breakfast and rush back when I peer over to see him teetering on the edge of the blanket, small tender head so close to hitting the fake hardwood. I know that he can handle the bump, he's done it enough now. But something keeps me coming back to protect the soft spot on the back of his precious melon. As soon as I go back to the kitchen to get my coffee he throws all of his toys off the blanket with the intent of rolling to get them.

Ethan knows that rolling requires the occasional bump on the head. You can tell he knows by the squint of his eyes as he leans over to roll. He's a go-getter. He knows leaving the safety of the blanket is going to hurt sometimes and he's ready for it. All babies do it, that's how they get what they need. Putting themselves out there, trying, knowing that it'll hurt sometimes. We could learn something from them. Imagine if we were never afraid to leave the comfort of the blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment