Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Making Memories

We've lost two great uncles on my father's side this week.  Rough week for the family.  And it's kinda got me thinking about family. 
My Grandma and Grandpa have been gone for a number of years on my father's side.  But some of my best memories of them is Christmas Morning at the farm.  I remember the year that I got my grocery set.  A whole bunch of plastic canned goods and "fresh" plastic produce.  I remember pushing my little shopping cart around their tiny livingroom.  That same year Grandma gave me a whole bunch of knitted ball gowns for my Barbie dolls.  One of them was burgandy with white trim...  and a matching cape for her cause it's cold here at Christmas time.  Come to think of it, dressing my Barbies in high fashion probably is to blame for the abundance of very fancy dresses in my closet - including an unworn wedding dress with a cape.

I think that was the same year that Grandpa was fairly sick.  But I don't remember him being sick.  I don't remember much of Grandpa at all.  I was 5 when he passed away.  But I remember the farm, and I remember that Christmas. 

I was lucky to have my Grandma Blair for quite a few more years, till I was 17.  We made some great memories together. 

I am especially lucky to still have both of my Grandparents on my Mother's side and one of Ryan's Grandmothers.  Great Grandparents for Ethan. 

We'll be surrounded by people this Christmas.  People we love, and we'll be making some very special memories I'm sure.  But I think I'll still be thinking about the people left behind; the ones who have lost someone they loved this year, dealing with the heartbreak of the holidays without them. 

This can certainly be a rough time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment